Legacy Dynamis
News: Welcome to the Legacy Dynamis Forums!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 18, 2017, 10:23:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dynamis-Xarc Damage Issues  (Read 1565 times)
Aidrian
« on: September 02, 2009, 08:23:45 AM »

Happened to notice this past Friday in Xarc that I was doing a lot less damage than I have been doing in past weeks running with Legacy, particularly with my weapon skills. Maybe i'm not remembering something I used to do, or maybe Xarc is just like that but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for maximizing my damage done there.

Should I be using a diff WS other than Drakesbane on mobs there? Do I need to have more Acc in my WS gear setup to make sure everything connects? Should I switch foods to something with more Acc in it? Any advise at all would be helpful.

-Aids
Isiolia
Sin Hunter
Administrator
Impossible to Gauge!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 09:37:01 AM »

Xarc mobs are significantly harder than ones in other zones. On top of that, you have mobs that are spamming AoEs that induce blind and slow.

While you're always tied some to the performance of your healer, Xarc is doubly so - don't get Hasted, and you're probably going to be Slowed, and so on. Relative performance is hurt even more than usual. Accuracy is harder to tell, but as a 2h user you shouldn't have -that- much of a problem overall.

WS-wise, you may find better results with mod-heavy WS rather than crit based. Notice that SAMs do comparably well with WS, because of the nature of most of their WS + Hagun. Other DDs don't tend to be as oriented towards high-mod single hitters, so WS damage goes down the toilet there. Still, you might try Wheeling Thrust or something. Steel Cyclone tends to be decent for WAR, even though on most things it's kinda lackluster without 300% TP.

RDM BLM BST BRD NIN WAR PLD DNC BLU
Aidrian
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 10:10:27 AM »

Yeah I don't seem to have too much trouble acc wise with normal attacks. They all tend to connect, just hit for lower amounts like 40-50 instead of the 100 or so i'm used to. Same goes for the WS. On average I usually hit 500+ with Drakesbane and after seeing several WS's hitting for 90-150 I just felt like I was doing something wrong maybe.

I did read up a bit on Wheeling Thrust and from what I've seen on Blue Gartr that's not a bad idea going forward. Most of the posts seem to indicate it can be better then Impulse Drive and Drakesbane on occassion, so I'll probably give that a try next time around.

If any other DPS has any additional suggestions though about what possibly I can do differently to improve my overall damage in Xarc, please let me know. Thanks. And thanks Isi for your comments.

-Aids
Hariel
Legacy Members
Impossible to Gauge!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 11:01:42 AM »

The issue stems from as Isi said the harder mobs.

Harder mobs = higher def and evasion.

For the defense this just means that overall you hit for less but you can't really stack more attack enhancing stats which becomes an issue with the evasion so really you'll just be hitting for less with each hit.

For the evasion this means that for most you have to drop some other stats for more acc slightly lowering your single hit damage but landing more hits comparatively so usually more damage overall than without the acc.

This is also compounded on weapon skills.  In the case of WAR, DRK and DRG for heavy DDs we use multihit weapon skills which relie on number of hits and their individual damage to add up.  Each hit does a small comparative amount of damage but together give us our big numbers while say SAM uses 1 hit WS for 1 big hit(there are obviously exceptions to this, gswd DRK, steel cyclone with full TP on WAR, impulse drive with full TP on DRG etc.)  This means that multi hit weapon skills have damage reduction calculated once for every hit on top of their inherent lower acc mod while single hit WS calculate only once and front load it all into 1 hit so that the larger hit and stat bonus serves to overpower the mob's defenses and be consistently higher.

Where the balancing comes in is that of SAM, DRK, DRG, and WAR everyone but SAM uses arguably far more powerful weapons on the base stat side of things so our regular melee damage is better swing for swing while the SAM with their hagun has the TP mod that allows their less substantial regular melee to be supplemented by their superior WS.

Overall it is just most easily summed up that the mobs have better defenses and you will always do less damage in northlands than in cities. Paticularly if you use multihit WS.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: